| || |
December 12, 2013 - Craig Howell
A few weeks back, a game was circulating around Facebook where an individual would be given a number and then was asked to share information about themselves adding up to that number. If you were given a 5, for example, you would have to share 5 things, 10, 15, etc.
With that in mind, I thought I would share a few things about myself, just for the heck of it. Some you may know, but most you probably don't. Enjoy!
1. Like most kids, I thought about several types of jobs for when I grew up, ranging from carpenter to astronaut. I finally decided on lawyer...right up until my senior year of high school. I took a business law elective that year during which I was asked to play the role of prosecutor as part of a mock trial. I was terrible, and lost the "case," so I thought law wasn't for me. I decided to give journalism a shot as it would give me an opportunity to write as part of my job, something I had always enjoyed.
2. I've been fortunate enough to visit Walt Disney World several times in my life. My favorite ride is the Haunted Mansion, but my favorite park is Epcot Center.
3. I don't drink alcohol, but in recent years have started a collection of shot glasses. I'll try to pick one up anytime I go somewhere new, so it's a bit of a chronicle of my trips, vacations and experiences. It only counts, though, if I've actually been able to spend time looking around an area. In other words, if I only spend my time in the airport I won't get one (even though airports are among the easiest place to find shot glasses).
4. I consider myself to be a geek; and I'm proud of it. I've always enjoyed various science-fiction shows, comic books, mythologies, video games and other areas often associated with being a geek. I've attended conventions, met various actors, writers and artists and enjoyed learning more about their work.
5. I still read actual books and have no plans to purchase an e-reader. There is just something about holding a book in my hands and turning the pages that helps me get into the story more than sliding my finger across a screen.
6. Almost 12 years ago I gave up drinking pop and any kind of caffeinated beverages. These days I tend to stick to water, fruit juices or caffeine-free herbal teas.
7. In addition to the shot glasses, I've started collections of comic books, coins, a few stamps and even Disney pins. Everyone needs a hobby, after all, or three or four.
8. I like to learn new things and hope to be able to one day go to graduate school and earn a master's degree. It was something I often discussed with my father before he died and he encouraged me to look at different schools and degree programs.
9. Despite having a job where I am constantly meeting and talking with new people, I am still very much an introvert. I've always been more than a little shy and quiet, and, to this day, I sometimes have difficulties when it comes to interacting with others.
10. While I've not been able to do it much lately, I enjoy learning to cook and periodically look for new recipes to possibly try out. I've actually been complimented several times on dishes I've prepared for office parties and other events.
No comments posted for this article.
Post a Comment