NEW CUMBERLAND - County employees, members of law enforcement and others inside the Hancock County Courthouse were evacuated on Wednesday morning after natural gas was detected inside of the building.
According to Hancock County Sheriff Mike White, officials believe the natural gas entered the building through a vent, but they aren't positive about the cause yet.
The New Cumberland Volunteer Fire Department and Mountaineer Gas were on scene to secure the building so that business could continue.
"We're just trying to make sure everybody's safe," said White.
After both the fire department and the gas company tested the air quality in the building and determined it was safe to enter, the courthouse reopened.
"Everybody is back inside," said White.
"The levels are safe inside of the building."
According to White, the gas company believed the source of the gas was somewhere around the perimeter of the building.
(Everly can be contacted at email@example.com)