Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Fire damages apartment in city

May 21, 2013
Weirton Daily Times

STEUBENVILLE - A mother and her two children escaped a Monday morning fire that started in the kitchen.

Fire Chief Carlo Capaldi said unattended cooking started the fire in the Donald Hamann Apartment complex at 1130A Lincoln Ave.

"The downtown squad had the fire knocked down in about five minutes after arriving on the scene. The West End fire station crew arrived and started checking the rest of the apartment and adjoining apartments," explained Capaldi.

Article Photos

HITTING HOT SPOTS — Steubenville firefighter Charles Antill used a hose to hit remaining hot spots Monday in a Donald Hamann Public Housing complex apartment on Lincoln Avenue. No one was injured during the fire, but Jefferson Metropolitan Housing Authority officials said the apartment will need renovations and repairs. - Dave Gossett

"I am estimating the kitchen area has about $20,000 in fire damages. The rest of the apartment had smoke and fire damage. And there was some smoke damage in an adjoining apartment," Capaldi added.

Assistant Fire Chief Frank DeLeonardis said heavy smoke and flames were coming from the rear window of the public housing complex apartment when firefighters arrived.

"The occupants were able to leave the apartment without injuries," DeLeonardis remarked.

Jefferson Metropolitan Housing Authority Property Manager Sara DiCarlantonio said she will work with the displaced family.

"The Red Cross will provide initial help to the family and we will be renovating a vacant apartment for them. Unfortunately they will be responsible for their furniture," said DiCarlantonio.

A Steubenville police officer handled traffic control on the two-lane roadway.

 
 

EZToUse.com

I am looking for: