WEIRTON - In an effort to improve the safety of students and faculty in local schools, local businessman Harold "Bubba" Miller, on Friday, donated three carbon monoxide detectors to St. Paul Grade School in Weirton.
Miller explained he had discovered only three states mandate the carbon monoxide detectors be placed in schools, and he wanted to find a way to change those rules in West Virginia to better protect children while they are in school.
He began his project earlier in the year after hearing of a school evacuation in Atlanta as a result of a carbon monoxide leak. Georgia currently is considering legislation to require the devices in the state's schools.
Local businessman Harold 'Bubba' Miller, on Friday, donated three new carbon monoxide detectors to St. Paul Grade School in Weirton as part of an ongoing project to improve safety measures in local schools. Miller said West Virginia currently does not require carbon monoxide detectors in schools. Holding the devices are, in front from left, Emma McFarland and Mia Chiodo, and in back, Miller, Ryan Waugh, Gabriel Baker and Principal Jamie Lesho. -- Craig Howell
While Miller has been speaking with legislators and other state officials, we is starting the effort locally.
"Our goal is to get them in every school in Hancock County," Miller said.
Miller explained his decision to begin the effort with St. Paul was personal, as his daughter is a teacher there and five of his six grandchildren currently attend the school.
The carbon monoxide detectors were purchased through donations made to the Seeing Beyond Foundation, an organization created by Miller and his family several years ago in an effort to help area residents with disabilities.
St. Paul officials expressed their appreciation for the donation.
"It's a great addition for our safety," Principal Jaime Lesho said, explaining he planned to have the devices installed before the end of the school day Friday. "We thank Mr. Miller."
Miller expressed his appreciation to Ward 3 Councilman Fred Marsh for assisting in the purchase of the detectors, Weirton Fire Chief Jerry Shumate and Brian Castow from the state Fire Marshal's office for providing information on the state's laws on the matter.
Anyone wishing to assist in the effort can contact Miller at (304) 374-1144.
(Howell can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org, and followed via Twitter @CHowellWDT)